talk too much, can never say enough

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Pepsi - Backing Forwards?

I'm going to preface this by saying I'm not a Pepsi drinker. Usually Diet Coke, Coca-Cola when I'm feeling like a treat, Coke Zero when I'm three sodas and two coffees into the day and still have thinking to do. I find Pepsi sickeningly sweet and definitely do not like Diet Pepsi. This favoritism usually extends to their branding as well. That being said:

Pepsi is starting to impress me.

I thought their throwback ads (especially the few seconds of iconic Namath/Jets footage) were fun, and was really impressed with the fact that they would bring to market the more-expensive sugar-sweetened product.

[Thoughtful aside: I first noticed the difference between sugar-sweetened soda and the corn syrup-sweetened abomination that replaced it when I studied in Australia in 2001. Since then I've drank sodas on 5 continents and always relish the opportunity to drink "real" soda when I get the chance. See the recent Mexicoke movement for more.]

But more than that: Coke vs. Pepsi has always been about the core Classic vs. the taste of the New Generation. For the most part, Coca-Cola has always stayed true to its brand roots, its logo, its iconic visuals. Pepsi changes packaging, changes logos, goes from Madonna to Britney to Shakira to Kylie to Beyonce to...

Well I guess we won't know, will we? This year Pepsi is foregoing its Superbowl spots in favor of a social media campaign which will result in the company donating millions in grants for charitable ideas or socially responsible projects.

Considering I remember the dancing bears better than who was playing in the big game that year, this comes as a bit of a shock. What to make of the dichotomy? The company is bringing back its old logo and taste for six weeks, then doing away with decades of ad strategy the next. Maybe it is Pepsi truly living up to its brand promise of being the 'taste of a new generation' - engaging consumers to direct spending towards charitable causes will probably build more esteem for the brand than spending $3 mil per 30 seconds (not including celebrity endorsements and agency fees) to have Lady GaGa dance around in a dress made of crushed Pepsi cans.

It still doesn't make me want to drink Pepsi though. Only real sugar does that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Marketer, writer, overthinker, New Yorker, semi-formal observer

Followers